Tidying Up with Marie Kondo

Yes, I am soooo hopping on this organization train! I used to be very organized in early high school and probably up until college when my days began to vary SO MUCH. I've been wanting to get back into a routine of it all and Netflix released this series at the perfect time. 

I started watching Tidying Up with Marie Kondo while I was at home for Christmas break. At this point, I don't really have a lot of stuff at home and the stuff I do have, I don't use a lot. I keep those things at home because I don't wear use them enough, but am not ready to let go for the most part. 

I brought quite a few things home from my room at the sorority house. I anticipated I would be getting a good amount of clothes from Santa, so I didn't bring too many home. I brought a lot of small things as well. 

After watching two episodes of the show, I got to tidying. I went through all of my t-shirts, leggings, pants, pajamas, and closet. I realized that many things I was holding onto were not necessarily sparking joy. Tidying up my room at home was nowhere near as fun as it was when I returned back to school, especially since the items at home were not being used regularly anyway. 

Amongst the many things I brought back to school with me, I also found Marie Kondo's book at my house. I knew my mom had read it a while back and many people raved about it as well prior to the show. Hopefully, I can find downtime to read it, but it is so hard with school (and not having a space completely of my own) to sit to read for fun and be able to reorganize every single thing.

When I got back to school, between unpacking, finding joy and folding, I spent about two hours reorganizing my room. Unfortunately, I was unable to get rid of too many things because I can't let go of my sorority t-shirts just yet. The most calming part for me was the folding. I really felt connected (it sounds weird I know) and it made me feel like I had a grip on this goal of organization I had been longing for this past couple of years. Granted, space in my home is very limited as I share it with three other girls, but I was able to fold my pants and t-shirts (disclaimer: I still had too many t-shirts).


I am trying to keep my bed made every day. It always feels so much better in my room when I do this. I know it doesn't look super neat, but it's a super small space!


My space for jeans is super limited! Th KonMari folding did not work out as well with the space I have, but they are all folded nonetheless.

Again, my space is limited, but I made a stack of my shorts and folded my leggings and sweatpants in the KonMari style! It was oh-so calming!


Folding my t-shirts was my favorite part! I definitely have some attachment issues to them though. I can revisit this afer I graduate but for now, I mostly live in t-shirts so I wasn't super picky.


I can honestly say I had such a great week last week! Although starting a new semester is always a bit overwhelming for me, I really felt like I took the week by the horns! I even woke up at 7:30 and ran errands SATURDAY MORNING. It's crazy what a little bit of organization can do you for your mind. 

Have you tried tidying up your life? What has it done for you?
Bailey

1 comment

  1. I've been folding my shirts that way for years now.. and it keeps things so organized.

    http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete